Interesting Facts About English Language
I am (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
English is really indeed a very interesting language especially that it is a language full of funny and fascinating facts. It is incredible how the language can just put out one letter after another and result to interesting words.
Just like the intriguing longest English word pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis. Could you possibly pronounce and spell out this word without any mistake? I wonder how and why English language formed such word as this.
Well, here are more about the fascinating facts about English language. There’s more to know than what our minds could comprehend. Here are the lists:
- No word in the English language rhymes with month.
- “Dreamt” is the only English word that ends in the letters “mt”.
- The word “set” has more definitions than any other word in the English language.
- “Underground” is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters “und.”
- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is “screeched.”
- There are only four words in the English language which end in”-dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
- The only other word with the same amount of letters is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokonioses, it’s plural.
- There is a seven letter word in the English language that contains ten words
- Without rearranging any of its letters, “therein”: the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, here, ere, therein, herein.
- No words in the English language rhyme with orange, silver or purple.
- ‘Stewardesses’ is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
- To “testify” was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles.
- The combination “ough” can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: “A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.”
- The verb “cleave” is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.
- The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is “uncopyrightable.”